Tempeh Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta
1 200g package of tempeh, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 tsp avocado or coconut oil
1 medium shallot, diced
8 cremini mushrooms, sliced (approx 2.5 cups)
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Sundried Tomato Pesto Ingredients
½ cup pine nuts, flash soaked
1 cup fresh basil, packed down
½ cup sundried tomatoes, drained of oil
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
⅛ tsp chili flakes
4 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup water or vegetable broth
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 package of white, whole wheat, or gluten free pasta
Pine nuts for serving
Fresh basil for serving
Vegan parmesan cheese for serving
- Prepare the tempeh by cutting into ¼ inch thick strips, then again into squares or bite sized pieces. Add 1 tsp of oil of choice to a large pan over medium heat and add shallots. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add chopped tempeh and cook for approximately 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add mushrooms and sauté for another 5-8 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder and stir to combine for another minute. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, place a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta and cook according to package instructions. Once cooked, strain and set aside.
- Place all of the sundried tomato pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. If you find that the pesto is too clumpy or dry, add ⅛ cup of water/stock at a time until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Add the pesto and pasta noodles to the pan with mushrooms and tempeh and combine with tongs. Serve with vegan parmesan cheese, fresh basil, and a sprinkle of pine nuts.