Tempeh, Pineapple, and Shiitake Mushroom Shish Kabobs with Tequila Teriyaki
Vegan, Serves 4
1 pack of tempeh, cubed
2 cups of fresh shiitake mushrooms
½ whole pineapple, cubed
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup of soy sauce
½ cup of water
1 tbsp cornstarch
5 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tbsp tequila
- Mix the water, soy sauce, cornstarch, and maple syrup in a pot and bring to a boil while stirring with a whisk. Once the cornstarch has dissolved, let it cool and then add the tequila.
- Let the tempeh and mushrooms marinate in the sauce overnight if possible.
- Turn the BBQ on high and let it heat up.
- Put the cubed pineapple, cubed tempeh, and mushrooms on shish kabob sticks and brush with olive oil (Save the leftover sauce!)
- Turn the heat down to medium on the BBQ and brush the grill with more oil before putting the shish kabobs on the grill
- Let them grill until the sides of the tempeh are just starting to blacken. Keep rotating until even on all sides. It can take 20-30 minutes.
- Start brushing the cooked sides of the shish kabobs with the sauce - be generous and repeat often.
- Once all the sides are done brush with sauce one last time and serve with fresh lime juice (And even a light spray of tequila!)