Indonesian Salad with Peanut Sauce
Fresh soy tempeh
Bean sprouts, blanched
Potatoes, boiled until cooked
Green beans, blanched
Fried Shallots (optional)
Shrimp crackers (optional)
1/2 cup shelled peanuts (85g)
2 tablespoons palm or light brown sugar
5 medium cloves garlic
3 medium-sized shallots
2 lime leaves
2 tablespoons tamarind paste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (30ml)
Bird’s Eye (Thai) Chili or dry chili flakes, to taste (optional)
- Prepare boiling water and an ice bath. Blanch vegetables, checking for doneness after 30 seconds or so. Plunge cooked vegetables into ice bath until cooled completely, drain and chill.
- Pan-fry garlic, shallots, chili and lime leaves until fragrant.
- Toast peanuts in a 375°F (191°C) oven until golden brown (approx. 5 minutes).
- Cut tempeh into 1/2" thick strips and pan fry until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper and set aside with cooked vegetables.
- Combine together peanuts, palm sugar and tamarind paste along with the aromatics into a food processor and grind until coarse. Add water until desired thickness is achieved.
- Toss the blanched vegetables in peanut sauce, top with fried shallots, shrimp crackers (optional) and pan-fried tempeh.