Tempeh Curry Rice
600g tempeh, cubed
2 tbsp. oil
2 carrots, cut into chunks
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
2 large potatoes, cut into chunks
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. salt
Any additional vegetables such as mushrooms, cauliflower, peas, etc.
Optional: Add grated apples for a hint of sweetness
4 tbsp. butter
¼ cup flour
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. curry powder
Ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp. paprika or to taste
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (or vegetarian alternative)
- Brown tempeh with 1.5 tbsp. oil until golden brown and crispy. Set aside and sauté the onions with the remaining oil over low heat until caramelized.
- Add the tempeh and the remaining curry ingredients. Cook until the carrots and potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, prepare the roux by melting butter over medium heat. Stir in the garlic for 2 minutes and add the rest of the dry ingredients, mixing until a thick paste has formed. Add the tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Continuously stir the paste to prevent burning, until the paste has partially dried and is starting to crumble. Set the paste aside until the vegetables are ready.
- When the vegetables are soft, add the vegetable stock into the roux and whisk until smooth. Pour this mixture back into the pot with the vegetables and stir until thickened. If desired, add leafy vegetables or any other vegetables that require minimal cooking at the end.
- Stir for 1 minute and serve over a bed of rice.