Spicy Tempeh Pizza
with Cashew Cheese
½ tsp dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp salt
2 tsps olive oil
2.5 cups flour
1 tbsp cornmeal (optional)
1 cup marinara sauce
200g of tempeh
2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp hot sauce
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar reduction
Micro greens & fresh basil
Cashew Cheese Ingredients
1 cup cashews soaked in water overnight
1/4-1/2 cup of water
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp salt
- Add the yeast to the warm water and olive oil and leave for 3 minutes until the yeast looks soft and expanded. Then slowly add the flour and salt while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Once it starts to look like a dough, sprinkle flour on a dry surface and knead the bread until the dough isn’t sticky but still springs back when you press it with your finger (better to not knead enough then too much!).
- Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a dish towel and leave for 30 mins.
- Once the dough has risen, move it to a floured surface, knead it until it’s soft and no longer sticky, then roll it out into a circle.
- Move the dough to a pizza stone that’s been sprinkled with cornmeal or a well-oiled pizza pan and use a fork to poke holes throughout the pizza (this prevents bubbling).
- Preheat the oven to 450 and when ready, cook the crust for 10 minutes.
- While cooking, cut the tempeh in half lengthwise and then into squares or triangles before tossing with the paprika and hot sauce.
- Drain the cashews of water (that have been soaking overnight) and put in a blender with the nutritional yeast, salt, and half of the water. Keep adding the rest of the water until the cashews are blended but still firm- it should have the consistency of greek yogurt.
- When the crust is out of the oven and cooled, add the marinara sauce, tempeh, and cashew cream (add this one spoonful at a time over the pizza like mozzarella balls)
- Put the pizza back in the oven for another 15-20 mins until the edges of the crust are slightly browned.
- Serve with fresh greens, basil, and balsamic reduction drizzled on top.