Grilled Cheese with Tempeh Bacon
with Balsamic, Brie, and Apricot
Grilled Cheese Ingredients
- 8 Slices Sourdough Bread or bread of choice
- Tempeh Bacon (Recipe & Instructions Below)
- Butter or vegan alternative
- Apricot jam or preserves
- Brie Cheese or vegan alternative cut into thin-medium slices
- Fresh Basil torn into small-medium
- Drizzle of balsamic reduction (We love Nonna Pia’s!)
Tempeh Bacon Ingredients
- 1 block of Tempeh
- ½ cup of Soy sauce or gluten free alternative
- ¼ cup Olive oil (or any other cooking oil)
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- ¼ cup Coconut oil (or more cooking oil)
Tempeh Bacon Instructions
- Slice the tempeh into strips as thinly as possible
- Mix the soy sauce, olive oil, and maple syrup
- Marinate the tempeh anywhere from 30 mins to 4 hours in the mixture
- Heat the coconut oil on a pan on medium heat
- Lay the tempeh down and fry until it has blackened edges on both sides
- Add some of the soy/olive oil mix to the pan when the tempeh is almost done for extra flavour
- Transfer the ‘bacon’ to a plate with some paper towel on it to soak up the extra oil
- Use in a recipe or eat immediately!
Grilled Cheese Instructions
- Begin by applying apricot jam onto the two inside facing slices of bread.
- Follow by stacking the brie cheese and tempeh bacon to cover width of bread. Finish by adding 4-5 torn bits of basil and adding a drizzle of balsamic reduction across the stack of ingredients before closing the sandwich.
- Butter both sides of the bread.
- Heat frying pan to medium-high heat with butter or non-stick spray of choice.
- Cook until brie cheese begins to melt and sourdough reaches desired crispiness.